Making My House a Home

Well, flat really.

Having successfully unpacked everything into my new home, I'm really starting to feel settled in Nagoya. Though I haven't explored much yet, I've already found loads of interesting differences between living here and living in England:

For starters, there's no central heating. There is however, an air-con that can heat up and cool down a room (though not simultaneously, of course). As someone who avidly dislikes the radiator, I thought that I would barely notice the difference, but then a thought occurred to me; where do I hang things that I want to dry a little quicker? I'll have to work that one out...

The hot water system is. Genius. Let's say you want to take a shower, you turn the hot water on and set the temperature. Then, when you get in the shower, the hot water heats up as you use it to the exact temperature that you set! No need to fiddle around with knobs and dials to get just the right temperature, you get the perfectly warm shower every time! I'm in love.

The recycling system is pretty complicated at first, but I actually think it's a pretty good idea. Unlike in England, where you just have "recycling" and "non-recycling", here you have to separate all your rubbish yourself into the categories "burnable items" such as food waste, "non-burnable" items such as light bulbs, "plastic items" such as food wrappers, "PET items" such as plastic and glass bottles and "paper items" such as...well that one's kind of obvious. It does mean that you have to have four or five bags out at a time, but all of the products you buy are clearly labeled so that you know which part goes where, and I think it makes me a lot more aware about the rubbish I'm producing. England, up your game a bit please? You're making us look bad.

I'm still finding my way around, and my brain feels like a sponge taking in so much information, but I'm absolutely loving it so far. Now we just need this jet lag to go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking, I Know

E-I-E-I-O-M-G

Got Wood 4: It Got Smaller Again