Cherry Blossoms in the Rain

Today my landlady, her husband and her sister invited myself and the other international students out to go see the cherry blossoms. Cherry blossom (Or sakura) season is world renowned for it's stunning pink blossoms accompanied by pleasant weather and seasonal sakura-themed products. Honestly, I expected it to be pretty overrated, I mean, I know blossoms are pretty, but there's no need to get overexcited! Well let me just say: I was wrong. It's not just the blossoming trees, It's the way all the trees seem to bend over the river bed as if they, like me, are watching the koi swim around. It's the fluffy, pinky-white blossoms as Far as the eye can see, interspersed with pink lanterns that light up in the evening. It's the bustling streets filled with delicious-smelling food and care-free people. In short, it was lovely.


We then sat down, whereupon we were given a dango (sweet, colourful mochi balls on a stick) and taiyaki (a fish-shaped cake filled with red bean paste). Then we made our way back to the car, where I was informed that we were going to a sushi bar for dinner. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese food, and I even quite like sushi, I just don't really like fish. I knew that I would have to somehow, in the next ten minutes, work out how to say that I was Jew(ish) and therefore could not eat pork or shellfish. I somehow managed this (thought I don't remember what I said) and so I was enthusiastically given a plate of Jew-friendly sushi. Fish sushi. A big, fat slice of raw fish on a ball of rice, doused in soy sauce. So I did what any socially awkward English person would do, I ate it. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The fish was fresh, so it wasn't overpoweringly fishy, ​​and once I powered through the texture, it was pretty yummy! Having said that, it paled in comparison to the roast beef sushi. I don't know why this is not more of a thing in England because the beef just fell apart in my mouth and the fat just melted into the rice. I could have eaten 10 of those. Except for the fact that I was very suddenly, very full. Thankfully, so was everyone else, and so I made my (much heavier) self back to the car and then into my welcoming bed. Hirano-san and co, I know you are not reading this, but regardless, thank you for such a lovely evening!


おやすみなさい!

PS That green drink? Melon Fanta. Yup, you heard me. Surprisingly, it does not taste as unhealthy as it looks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking, I Know

E-I-E-I-O-M-G

Got Wood 4: It Got Smaller Again