Slow and Steady

One thing I've realised since I've been here is that the classes move at a relatively slow pace compared to the classes and workshops that I was used to taking back in England. No complaints though, as it gives me time to focus on trying to understand what the teachers are saying. This was never more useful than in my etching class. For those who aren't familiar with the process, it's super complicated and involves a lot of different steps and chemicals. In the grand scheme of printmaking, I wouldn't say it's my favourite technique, mostly because I don't think it's well suited to the kind of work I tend to produce. Having said that, I enjoyed learning about the process, and I'm really pleased with the outcome.

We were each given a metal plate which we had to cut into two and then design two images with the theme "folk story". I took folk story to include fables and designed mine around The Tortoise and The Hare. I obviously decided this before I realised that I didn't know how to draw either of those animals, but I managed to pull it off in the end!

Comments

  1. Looks nice! Is it made on copper plate? Few years ago I tried the technique: to make some drawings on cooper plate. I used special marker and some etchant :) It wasn't super hard to make it, actually it was a fun for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is. Oh interesting! I've never heard of etching markers! We used several different chemicals and a needle, so I think our processes were a little different :P Yeah, I don't think the process was too difficult or strenuous, but to be fair, I did have the teachers helping me by constantly reminding me which step came next!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking, I Know

E-I-E-I-O-M-G

It's Time For Some Constructive Criticism