Coming Soon to a Nose Near You!

A few weeks ago, I got the opportunity to sign up for an Arimatsu Shibori workshop that was made available to the exchange students and I leapt at the idea. Arimatsu Shibori is a traditional Japanese tie-dyeing technique that is based in the Arimatsu area of Nagoya. It involves tightly sewing or folding the material in certain ways and then dipping them into a boiling blue dye. Once dyed the material is unthreaded/unfolded to reveal a beautifully unique and often intricate pattern of blue and white. We were shown the techniques and history for both the sewing and folding techniques, though we only got to try the folding one (probably for the best tbh because it looked difficult af). We each had three pieces of material, each folded into a different type of triangle in advance which, in itself was a learning process. When we got to the dyeing step, we donned out gloves and, one by one, we dipped various corners and edges into the dye before taking it to a massive bath, untying it and washing it for what felt like forever. What was weird was that, when we dipped the material into the dye, it came out yellow, but as we washed it, it slowly transitioned to green and then eventually blue. It was so exciting to unfold each piece of material to see the pattern we had created and I was so surprised that not one piece came out the same!


When we got home with our drying strips of material, I started to wonder what to do with them. They were really stunning, but I didn't want them to sit around with no purpose, I cut each piece into three rough squares and took them to a seamstress to sew hems on them. The goal was to end up with nine handkerchiefs, three of each pattern, meaning that I could keep and use one of each pattern and give the remaining six to friends and family. I'm really pleased with how these turned out, and the material is really soft and lightweight, which makes it the perfect handkerchief!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking, I Know

E-I-E-I-O-M-G

Got Wood 4: It Got Smaller Again